Friday, October 24, 2008

I'm Going Deeper... Well no maybe not...

So the other day I was talking to someone who I admire a whole lot and they expressed to me that ever since they became a Christian, they have left a lot of friends behind and that they really enjoyed many of those friends but because of the excessive use of drugs and alcohol she felt that it may put their faith in harms way. Most of all though it made those friends uncomfortable because she would no longer participate in drinking etc. .

Little did she know that the entire time she was talking, I was thinking about how that cycle never ends and that one of my struggles in ministry is that as I dive deeper and deeper into my faith, I find those who are on the same level and those who are not. It seems as though the deeper you swim the less people you find around you.

Therefore, our connections with people are always changing or being challenged.

Do you struggle with this?

2 comments:

James said...

Yeah. This is a tough one. As the depth of your spiritual life changes, and even as you go through different cycles in life, friends change and are lost... sometimes it simply feels lonely. Especially when in a leadership position. Because you're leading, no one can actually know how lonely it can be.

The non-Christian situation is the same. I think there's a balance that needs to be sought after. Once a Christian, being friends with old non-Christian friends is a struggle. But at the same time, I think it's important to try extra hard to keep those relationships (unless you have a past of some sort of addition, and you need to stay away in order to relapse). As people become Christians, they lose their network with the world and become networked with only Christians, and that's why Christians can be seen as "out of touch with reality."

Anyways, that's my 2cents

Anonymous said...

Interesting choice of word struggle. Maybe it shouldn't be our struggle at all. Just thinking out loud here.

People ask, "How do I know if God's talking to me?" Wouldn't that be our conscience? That quiet voice inside all of us? I believe that is God. Telling me when something or someone is right, or when something or someone is wrong.

My conscience - our God - is quietly telling me who I should hang around and who I shouldn't. The question then becomes - am I listening?

A direct answer to the question posed might just be then that you associate with people your conscience is telling you to associate with. And some of those folks may be Christians and some may not.

The struggle that you speak of then, wouldn't be that much of a struggle if I listen to that quiet voice - God. He will direct me. But will I follow? Will I listen?

Anyway - just sharing thoughts.