Monday, June 15, 2009

Is it God or Time ?

Recently I have been part of many discussions regarding TIME. The small group that my wife and I are in is talking about time and how it relates to our marriages. But I think that when you really start getting into the discipline of time and the lack there of, you start revealing a lot of other things. In fact I believe that it directly relates to church attendance.

First let me ask you a few questions.

God?
- Do you think that most people in America have ridden by a church in their car etc.?

- When they ride by a church do you think that many, maybe even if it’s just for a split second, they think about Jesus? (As in they know His name)

- If you were around a group of people in the middle of no where and you said the name Jesus, do you think most people would know who you are talking about?

Time.
- Do you know any young families where both adults work?

- Do you know any young families that not only do both adults work but at least one of them may have two jobs or go to school?

- Do you know any families that have children?

- Do you know any families where both parents work?

- Do you know any adults whose children play organized sports?

I will stop there because I think you already see my point.

Many People know the name of Jesus, but they just simply don’t have enough time.

Many churches today are spending tons of money on advertising and trying to make people aware of Jesus. Mean while many people that they are reaching, have already heard about Him many years ago. We live in 2009. Thanks to technology, I get told things and hear things quicker than ever before. In fact, many times I hear about things and before I can even completely mentally and emotionally relate to the situation, I hear about something else that is “better” or “more current”.

I would encourage you to start up some conversations with neighbors and friends and listen to when they speak and the tone they use we they are talking. Much of their tone and demeanor will be relative to time or lack there of.

We no longer live in a world where the people haven’t heard the news. Instead we live in a world where a husband has to email a wife to plan a dinner date. As a church, we have to wise up. Satan has infiltrated our homes little by little each day by placing materialistic culture and in sensitive process to where many feel there is no other way.

I can only imagine the pleasure the Devil gets out of seeing people that absolutely know about Jesus, in some manner, but because of time and responsibilities and the (keeping up with the joneses of today’s culture) they make a conscious decision to put Him last in line.

You know all those churches you passed on your way to work today… Your neighbors passed them too. Do you really think they haven’t heard the name Jesus? Or are we all just avoiding a bigger issue?

Would love to read your comments.

No comments: